Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Edie

I first found Edie’s blog around the Christmas of 2008. I loved the vibrant turquoise she used and all of the eclectic appeal, yet it all seemed so comforting. Isn’t this the most fun Christmas tree you’ve ever seen?

DSC_0001

And her words, oh her words, I was enthralled.

From 100 Things about Edie:

“41. I speak from experience when I say that having children who are compliant can give you the false sense that you are an extraordinary specimen of a mother. And on the contrary, having strong willed children will have you convinced that you are not capable of parenting at all. I have both varieties in my little family.   Until you’ve parented a strong willed child, it would be wise to save all your statements that start with “Well, if that was my child, I’d….”.   Give people the benefit of the doubt and spend the time you might judge them–saying a prayer for them instead.  This is no task for the faint of heart.  And grace and mercy need abound.”

Her wisdom abounds and I am so thankful for those words above. As well as countless others, in which her posts spoke directly to me.

I actually wrote about her in a blog post in March 2009, of course my topic being how I would love to be in her class. She struck me as such a remarkable educator. I was in awe. Then I sent her a small email telling her. The email and appreciation I received back was remarkable.

She is a rock. She is amazing. She is a mentor. I just love her and today is her birthday.

 

Happy Birthday, Edie. I can’t wait to see what is in store for you in 2011. You are in my prayers and thoughts constantly.

lifeingraceblog.com

~mrs. dunbar

9 comments:

Cathy said...

well stated, Mrs. D. i never caught those words about parenting but mmm, mmm, those are good ones!

It's Grace said...

She makes an excellent point about obedient and strong willed children, and about not judging. Just yesterday at Walmart I was thinking "if that was MY kid...." Thanks for sharing :)

Happy 2011!!

Megan said...

Joining you in praying for her and her family for a restorative 2011.

Lori said...

I can totally agree with that parenting concept since I too have one of each. I will have to check out this blog because I'm always searching for another blog to feel like... now this is someone who "gets it". Happy birthday to your bloggy friend

The Kelleher Family said...

Thanks for sharing! So funny because she spoke to me through you, I needed to hear that I am not the only one who feels like a failure with my strong willed child!
Be Blessed...

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

I can't believe I didn't know who she was until everyone started talking about her. Guess I've had my nose to the home school grindstone too long!! Such a darling woman and blog though.

patty said...

oh mrs dunbar, i've missed you! i received your comment before xmas & have had every intention of getting back to you... i hope you had an amazing xmas this year w your little ones and their versions of our itouch last year! i promise an email soon!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I so want to live intentionally...SUPER GREAT post

{edie} said...

my sweet mrs. dunbar,
i remember well those emails we exchanged when we first became friends. i'm so thankful for friends like you, who love and care and pray. so thankful. i can't wait to see how God turns this tragedy for good. i know He will.
much love and many thanks,
edie