Friday, August 26, 2011

Sitting on the Edge

Life has been a whirlwind around here and I feel like most of the time I’ve just been sitting on the edge of the pool, really wanting to get in, but not making that big jump. August 363Not just making that mad dash into the freezing water because of the exorbitant initial chill, forgetting that once you get in the chill is gone and the fun can begin. So instead I just make circles around the water and then get up walk around some more and hope the water won’t be so cold on the other side.August 364

I’d like to think that I've been making my best efforts to enjoy life to the fullest with my Men but instead I just keep doing circles and again and again and again. You know: that get up make breakfast, do a few chores, try to get in a small activity, make lunch, clean, think about dinner, make dinner, clean some more, get every one bathed, and read to, and then bed. Only to wake up and do it again. Those are the circles I’m talking about here.  So I feel like I’ve been an Onlooker, not really the Doer that I usually am.

August 365

Summer is almost over. Like today is officially the last day. Because tomorrow starts the weekend and then on Monday… SCHOOL.

What?

School.

But I’m still watching the water. How in the world is that possible? 

August 366

So slowly, very slowly, I think I’ll get back into the swing of things. School always does that to you, you know.

And inch by inch I think I’ll take a step into that freezing water and then I’ll be able to splash and splash and splash.August 368

Yup, that’s what I think I’ll do. Take one step at a time.

                                               -----------------------------------

The hooligans and I headed off to a resort last week with my mom for a few days. The boys had a blast in all of the pools. I spent most of my time sitting on a lounge chair holding Popeye. It was a nice little getaway. Thanks Mom and Dad!

August 386

Come Monday, it’s a whole new ball game. Dang, ready or not I’ll have to jump in.

With both feet.

Have you been splashing or sitting on the edge?

~mrs. dunbar

6 comments:

Lori said...

this summer I felt more involved in life, but when the boys were younger it wast he sit and watch thing. maybe it's the whole routine, nap, lunch thing that keeps you locked into less doing and more just existing?

jen@odbt said...

Looking great mama! I have to jump in too...this getting up at 630 is for the birds :) Good luck on the first day of school.

The Salinas Family said...

I have been splashing...loudly, but I have to admit I am tired and I did miss you splashing with me! XO. I am ready to rest. Is that even possible with 2 boys in sports and 34 new kiddos in my class on Monday, and a new preschooler and kinder in our house come Monday? Probably not, but hopefully. I am ready to sit on the couch in sweats on a cold, rainy day!

Mrs. C... said...

You see, I like to sit on the edge of the pool, and get nice and toasty hot before getting in. So in a sense, I have been sitting and splashing alternatively. However, starting on Wednesday the whole family splashes as I go back full time. But we have some time to adjust as the kiddos don't go back for another 1 1/2 weeks. So much to do in so little time! At least with school you get a whole new splash as you learn to make it all work.....trust me it does all work. Then when Bogie goes to Kinder, it will be like an old favorite hat - no problem at all.

Janna said...

I loved this analogy, especially since it's 100% me you're describing. And yes, I've been waiting for school to start so I can get back into the swing of things too. And what's up with you lookins so hot by the pool when you just had a baby?! You should publish your secrets and make a fortune! If it's just good genetics, don't tell me - I'd rather not have to envy you from now on ;)

Nicolle said...

Boyd and I went out of town with my mom last week too! It's nice to have a change of scenery. The resort looks nice in your pictures! I think we headed out of town b/c I have been feeling like you described....get up, cook, clean, play, shop, pick up more toys, errands, cook, bathtime, bedtime. Repeat the next day. Some days I feel as if I'm all alone and I must be doing something wrong. I feel like I'm never caught up and I have accomplished nothing. I try to be easier on myself on those days. We are doing what mamas are supposed to do, some days it's just never ending.

:)