Tuesday, July 7, 2009

No Spend July

I have been contemplating the idea of having a "No Spend Month" for a while now. Actually, I thought perhaps a week or 15 days, but for some reason the month mark kept coming up. So towards the end of June, I thought, this is it July will be my month.

Now I haven't gone over the deep end like Small Notebook, only spending $250 for the entire month, including groceries. I like fruit too much in the summer. But I do give the girl credit, lots and lots of credit. Maybe if I decide to do this annually, I can work up to something like her. But this year for the Dunbar's we are taking small steps.

So there will be NO extras this month. No extra $5 this or $5 dollar that from Target. No clothes this month for myself or the Dunbar Men. No Starbucks. No getting hair done. (Such a killer, I'm due for a do next week.) No car washes. No eating out for lunch.

No extras.

But I do have to put one thing on the table, I ordered a pair of boots last month that will be charged to my credit card this month. It's the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale people. Deals like this only come once a year! The boots are already paid for, thank you very much Adam!


Now in the state of our economy I know that it seems like, hey you should have already done that. A lot of people have already done that and I have also. I have cut back- drastically from say three years ago, even from a year ago. But this month, I am not giving into the temptation. Week one is almost over and I have done great. Today was my first time to go to a store since the June 30th. And it was Target, of course, and I spent $23! Unheard of in the Dunbar home.

I've got $100 to last me until the end of the month. Well minus my $23 bucks from Target, so I guess I have $77 left.

Do you think I can do it? Could you?
.
Oh and whatever I save my dad will double for the boys savings accounts. Right, Dad?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea :) Let me know how you do :)

jen@odbt said...

Nice boots! I don't think I could do it. Just keepin' it real. Good luck!

Cathy said...

Yes, I've done it. Yes, it was VERY VERY hard for me to do it. So hard that my family had to make a Target run after church and I made myself sit in the car while they shopped. My sister just reminded me today that I once told her heaven for me will smell like Nordstrom and look like Home Goods. (Of course, Jesus will be the best thing in heaven...but I do like the idea of a shopping backdrop :) I'll be praying for ya!

Mrs. C... said...

I believe in you!!! You can do it! Wait, now I sound like Adam Sandler's friend, but you can and if the accent helps,well so be it. I need to do the same thing, but I have already blown it this month. Maybe in September (really no spending in August when we are celebrating our anniversary???? Not going to happen, a girl knows her limitations.) The boots are great and totally you! I guess this isn't the month to ask you to margaritas???

Tawny said...

Wow, that is a great, hard, idea! I don't' know if I could, I would love to try though! Good luck...$77 can go far if you get creative enough???

Rachel said...

I love those boots. They will look so cute with a jean skirt or a plaid dress. I have seen them everywhere. Well good luck with the no extras. I will keep you in my prayers it is tough.

Christian said...

You can totally do it! It will be hard, but you can do it! If you need some help check out Dave Ramsey's (free) podcast, he is a great money guy!