Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Kitchen Catch-Up

So, this is what my kitchen looked like last week. And maybe it's because, I'd die if you came over and it actually looked like this, but truly this was taken on a Thursday afternoon, after I'd been dealing with ear infections, amoxilcillin which induced diarhea, which induced vomitting... yeah, woe is me. But this post is not about that, its about this pretty little kitchen.

Short story: Five years ago, after Mr. Dunbar and I had lived here a year or so, I told him I wanted new counter tops and a new sink. He said sure let's price it out, so we went to the Home Depot and asked the kind lady at the Design Center, "How much counters would be? And that we didn't even need granite, just something to update our kitchen."  She gave us the lovely price of $4,000. Umm. Okay, I guess not. This is not our forever house, so no need to dump money like that here. Then I told Mr. Dunbar I really wanted a new sink and he lovingly told me that this wasn't possible without removing the countertops. Hence. I was stuck with what we had. I was washing our dishes in a sixty year old sink! I didn't take a picture of the inside of the sink but I really wish I had. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't pretty either.

All cleared off and ready to have that counter removed. We were pretty sure, that these were the original counters, but not positive until it came down and we found no paint at all on the walls behind the back splash. My house was built in 1947. That counter top and sink were vintage.
Here we go...
Beautiful new cast iron sink.
It couldn't be that easy, there were still walls to take care of, plumbing and electrical work. And my garbage disposal hook up, threw these guys for a loop. Did I tell you we were the first people to install a garbage disposal in this house?  The previous owners drove a Mercedes and BMW and they didn't put in a garbage disposal. Still boggles my mind. Okay, back to countertops...
Oh and playing of course.
They're both working on different outlets. Notice Mr. Salinas wearing glasses. Old guy.
Time for me to paint.
Ahhh.... looking so much better.
Remember, this is what it looked like before.
And after.
And a shot of my new sink. It's glorious.

You know, never in my life, would I have thought I'd spend all of my Christmas money on home improvements. Ever. Especially over something like counter tops!  I'm more like a new handbag, new shoes (Still coveting those Tory Burch flats), or maybe some new sunglasses, kind of girl. But I really spend more time and effort in this kitchen than any where else these days. Does this mean I'm all grown up now?

Sitll some more small things to come.
Are you as excited as I am over things like this?

~mrs. dunbar

17 comments:

Katie said...

Ya'll Did GREAT! Looks so Fresh, Clean, & New! Bet Washing out Dishes will be so much more enjoyable in that Shiny Sink!!!

jules said...

Totally excited about things like this! It looks awesome.

Lori said...

I totally get excited about little things like this! It looks beautiful - enjoy! :)

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

I am loving it!!

Can't wait to see more...

jen@odbt said...

Makes me want to make some changes. It looks fantastic. Did you craigs list the vintage sink? My brother tore out 50s cabinets and he got some good money for them.

Ali said...

I am excited for you too! What a HUGE make over. It looks great. The boys did an incredible job:-) This will last WAYYY longer than a new hand bag or those sassy new shoes. I bet you love being in that kitchen even more now:-)

Martha said...

IT LOOKS GREAT!!!! you all did a fantastic job... I LOVE IT! The last part made me laugh about the new shoes and doing countertops and sink instead:)

Becca @ My Crazy Good Life said...

Wow!! It looks amazing!

And your new header is adorable!

Tawny said...

Beautiful! My handyman needs to talk to your handyman...definitely would LOVE to do that kind of home improvement :)

Darlene said...

Looks good! We need to re-face our kitchen but it'll have to wait a while.

Genn said...

Ooooo la la! Looks so pretty. I bet that is a good inspiration to cook too. Those boys done good!

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

Looks great! Stumbled upon your blog today. You have a new follower!

The Loyal Mortgage Guy said...

Now you can do twice the amount of dished you normally would... hint hint...okay i'll be blunt. Why don't you invite your brother and his family over for dinner EVER? We would love to see the new counter tops up close!

Christine Hedrick Photography said...

Yeah I agree with Adam... I'd love to see the counter tops up close also. :) Maybe since I live across the continental US of A... that's why you haven't invited me either?

Seizing My Day said...

Yep... all grown up! exciting, huh!! =) funny the things we get excited about as adults!! LOL! LOVE the new kitchen counters and sink... she is beautiful!~ you could not have said it better... you spend so many hours in there... she should make you happy! =) good logic!
Just Jenn~

Unknown said...

It looks great! How exciting! I would definitely get excited over this. The kitchen is where I spend most of my time.

patty said...

looks great... but i didn't think the gray looked bad, either! at least it wasn't olive or mustard...right? :)