Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Keeping it healthy

Two things I’ve been doing lately to try and add some more nutrients and naturalness to our diet: flax seed and oranges. No, not together.
First up, flax seed. According to WebMD.com “Some call it one of the most powerful plant foods on the planet. There’s some evidence it can help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes. That’s quite a tall order for a tiny seed that’s been around for centuries: flaxseed.”
Because it contains: 
  • Omega-3 essential fatty acids, "good" fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.
  • Lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75- 800 times more lignans than other plant foods
  • Fiber. Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble types.
So my primary way of getting it into our diets is through pancakes. You can’t taste it at all and it blends right into the batter. I’ve also used it in cookies and tomorrow I’m going to throw it in my granola. Feb 009Feb 011
A seriously easy way of adding just more good things to the boy’s food.
Part 2: Oranges.
Living in sunny Southern California we never have a shortage of these beauties and when you have a Grandma who loves to garden, there’s quite a good supply.
Feb 005
The boys and I have been heading over to her house once a week to pick them. Its been a fun experience for all of us and such a good way to talk about God’s creation, healthy foods for our bodies, and growing plants and food. (Of which I am notorious for KILLING.)
Can we say “organic”?  Look at that dirt, it doesn’t get any more natural than that. Feb 007
Mr. Dunbar put it this way, “There are no better oranges than the ones that have been grown with lots of water and love.”Feb 008  That Vitamin C has been fighting off all kinds of little colds around here.
~mrs. dunbar

13 comments:

The Kelleher Family said...

Yum! I love oranges, we have been going through a ton of them around our house too! Thanks for the tip about flaxseed, I am always trying to add veggies to dishes for some added nutrients and it drives my hubby nuts.

Kerri said...

This post made me laugh! I recently bought some flaxseed b/c I had heard it was so good for you and easy to mix in things. But after reading/seeing your post...I think I am doing it all wrong! I was putting the flaxseed (unground) in my blender...and I was not enjoying the seeds coming up through the straw in my smoothie! I guess I need to grind them...and then it won't be so bad! :)

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea! I'm always on the look out for healthy ideas.

Lori said...

sounds like a good idea to me. I try to eat both of those... my boys won't touch real oranges, but I do get OJ into them from time to time

{cindy} said...

We love oranges and flaxseed! Such good stuff.
We have not added it to our pancakes yet. Great idea.
Have a happy night

Nicolle said...

I have wanted to buy and try flaxseed for a long time now. Your post inspired me to do so. The oranges look wonderful. Love the pictures of them!

Genn said...

Hi Irene!
So I just recently started using flaxseed to and I love it. I have put it in my Kashi cereal (also a new favorite healthy food of mine), and in whole wheat pancakes, and in smoothies. Oh and oatmeal too. There are so many benefits to it. Go us. :)

Alisa said...

I like to use flaxseed too! It's great in all sorts of things. We add it to our smoothies as well as pancakes, yogurt, and muffins. We also love oranges. We tend to get the little mandarin oranges simply because they are seed free and always sweet. If we had a nice supply of fresh organic ones we would definitely be making some orange juice. yum!

PS: can't wait to see pics of that little baby boy when he arrives :) Hope you are feeling well!

Seizing My Day said...

Oh I love flaxseed! I put a couple tablespoons in everything!! ALL my baking... even cakes! I even put it in sauces ... it is fabulous on fish, chicken, etc. etc. sneaky... very sneaky stuff!

just in case I haven't said so before... I envy your sunny state!! ;)

Jami Nato said...

i stick flaxseed in the middle of my kids PB and J. they never know the dif!

It's Grace said...

Yum to both flax seed and oranges. I buy the dry flax seed and the oil is great, too! You're right, they are SO good for you.

Those oranges look amazing! I love oranges, and to think you get them like that year round.

Hope you're feeling well!! Can't wait to see the latest cutie pie :)

Praying for you!!

Erin

Martha said...

that is so wonderful you get to do that together!!! how fun...those oranges are beautiful:)

Mrs. C... said...

Ah hem.....My mama's are better. WE need to get the kids over there and they can romp the grove together. Now that we aren't contagious ! :)