Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pen and Paper

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I got a little behind on the Happy Day Project.

I wrote my letters.

I addressed them.

Then I went to the desk to get stamps.

And there were none. What?

So I texted Mr. Dunbar, “Ummm, stamps?”

His response, “Bogie thought they were stickers.”

Aye, Bogie. Outside of the box, ask for forgiveness rather than permission, Bogie.IMG_3786

Okay, back to letters…

Growing up I loved to write letters. Writing and receiving letters was a favorite pastime. There was no email. No texting. Only snail mail. And the run to the mailbox. The anticipation was always the same. The joy was always great, reading and re-reading the mail. Handwritten thoughts. Genuine thoughts. 

Today, for my letters, I didn’t write any sagas in my letters, just short and sweet notes that will hopefully brighten some days.

So anyhow, I went and got stamps and the letters are going out today.

IMG_3881 - Copy

I picked up stamps at the market and they gave me these.

Holiday stamps. Wowzers.

IMG_3879

Don’t you love to get mail?  Non-bill mail?

~mrs. dunbar

8 comments:

Megan said...

My grandmother lived a few states away while I was growing up and she used to write to me once a month, sometimes more. I loved reading her letters and still cherish them. Letter writing is so important and I just know you will brighten someone's day!

{cindy} said...

LOVE mail! I had so many penpals from far away places when I was young. The thrill of buying new stationary and neat stickers to decorate them was such a huge part of my childhood memories. I miss all of that and wish my daughters could experience more of it.
So glad you got your letters out. That is a project I will do today for sure!
have a happy day

Lori said...

you so seldom get real mail anymore other than cards for birthdays and holidays. I'm sure the people you are writing to with be very happy to receive them

Michelle said...

This brings back such great memories. I loved getting letters in the mail and sending them as well. I don't do it as much, but I might be a bit inspired by your post. Thanks.

Genn said...

Funny story about Bogie and the stamps. :)

I loved when we had pen pals in school!!!

I just took a pic for ten on ten today of sitting down to actually write a card too.

Did you read The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society??? I know, a mouthful, but look it up if you haven't read it. It's a book in the form of letters and it takes place during ww2.

Anonymous said...

I love getting snail mail! I was just telling my friend that I want to be better about sending handwritten notes! Good for you! It will make someone's day!

Cathy said...

Ok, I am catching up. OH MY! I can't believe little baby is so BIG! Your good deeds--you rock :) Christmas stamps this early (yes, I love real mail, too) -- ay-yi-yi. The handpainted "trees" -swoon!

Now, about your uber cool looking blog! I ran right over to Miss Shabby Blogs and am totally lost as to how I would do some magic. Do tell if there is an easy answer! (your blog looks better and better every time I visit. And it's always look fab!)

xoxo

SZM said...

ooooh, pretty stamps. I love me some real bona-fide mail. You've inspired me, Mrs. Dunbar.