Thursday, December 10, 2009

Naciamiento

Growing up we called the nativity scene a "naciamiento." To this day that's what I call it because it reminds me of being "home." Putting these figurines out every year is one of my favorite parts of decorating for the Christmas holiday. I always love to start out with this scene, as it depicts the true reason for the season.

As I set it out, I always wonder if it was chilly or if Mary was warm on that special night.
I wonder if Mary was scared or if she was at peace as the signs of labor began.
And I think about the animals, and question if they knew something extraordinary was about to happen.
I wonder if the wise men truly understood the Majesty they were bring gifts for.
And I try to picture the sky with the bright and shining stars. How magnificently bright they probably were that night.

Salvation came by infant king. Today Monkey came home with his nativity scene. One that he made.

He was so proud. I was so proud of him.

He knows the story of this infant whose birth changed the world. Have you ever thought about our birthdays being set by Jesus' birth? (B.C. and A.D.)

Jesus' life story is more told over than any other person to have walked on this earth.
I think there is some significance in that. Don't you?

I also put this small hand carved scene out each and every year. A friend of mine brought it back for me from Palestine. He was Muslim, but he knew this gift would be cherished by me. It stands only 5 inches tall. I love to look at the wood carvings. I've had to super glue more than one piece back on.

It's in my kitchen and each time I am washing dishes I think of all of the people who are celebrating something else besides Jesus during our holiday season and I pray for them.

I pray for everything that is going on in the Middle East.

And I thank God for the gift of his Son. Funny, how a little token given to a friend during high school can have such an impact.

Amazing that a carpenter changed our world.

The angel said, "Don't be afraid. I'm here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody, worldwide: A Savior has just been born in David's town, a Savior who is Messiah and Master. This is what you're to look for: a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger." Luke 2:10-12


13 comments:

Amanda said...

I love monkey's navity! soo cute!

Anonymous said...

I have an olive wood carved thing from Palestine also. :) very cool. My husband's cousin played bball for Bethlehem for 2 years.

-Christine

Cathy said...

You inspire me to pray for all the people celebrating something other than Jesus this season (including praying for myself when other things cloud the season's purpose!)

jen@odbt said...

What a beautiful nativity. My favorite nativity is this tiny ornament we picked up on our honeymoon to Costa Rica. We have the FP Little People one which the kids love but I am still looking for my own.

Nancy said...

So pretty and I love how amazing it is that a "Carpenter" saved and changed the world. The Messaiah. amen! Have a super weekend. Nancy

Michelle said...

The Nativity is so precious. My favorite Nativity is mini, the pieces are only 1 1/2 inches tall. Be blessed today.

Tracy said...

I love this post. It's a good reminder of how much we mean to God and how much He should mean to us. Merry Christmas to you and your men if I don't see you before then.

Tracy

patty said...

my favorite is monkey's... :)

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful post! it touched me! i am so happy we can openly share our love for Him! xo

West Hill Heritage said...

Love the post - just made me smile
what a blessing

Darlene said...

Love this post! It brings the season back to its roots.

Mrs. C... said...

WE are SOOO mental sisters!!! You stole my post! NOt that you would have known that, except you DO know that we share a passion for the Nativity. Good post. Preach it Sister!

Christian said...

Well, it is a little late to add this now...but if you haven't read "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever!" by Barbara Robinson...add it to your Christmas reading list with the kids! It is a wonderful story about a bunch of hoodlums who hear the Christmas story for the first time. I plan on reading it every year to cement that feeling of sorrow in my children's hearts for the people who are celebrating the wrong thing.